Re: [PCWorks] Stray EM fields, CRT's & effects Re: Burning CDs

  • From: Peter Kaulback <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:18:44 -0500

Shielding for flash and ssd devices will evolve just as it has for hard
drives. I have an old hard drive from 1992 and it lags when sitting near
  speakers or between my crt's noticeably. Yet if I put a newer drive in
the same spot there is no noticeable lag.

So crt's are being made less and less as lcd and plasma monitors gain
popularity so lesser need for shielding. As an aside, lcd's must evolve
as well as one important material in their construction will be
exhausted by 2017.

A fellow student from a while back worked on concert stage construction
and shielded each and every speaker magnet with a sheet steel box. Must
have been a lot of boxes.

Peter Kaulback

Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin wrote:
>> By the way, I don't know whether Energy Star
>> has to do with radiation. It has to do with
>> electricity consumption.
>
> Yes, I'm not sure it does: "In the USA, all monitors now are
> 'Energy Star' compliant which also ***might*** reduce
> radiation".  I guess if you make them more efficient that
> **might possibly** reduce some of the radiation.
>
> Again, I'm mostly talking about **magnetic** fields.  A CRT
> doesn't really have enough to damage a flash drive or SS HD,
> unless perhaps it's resting on top for a period of time.
> Shielding of harmful magnetic fields would have to be
> retroactive which is not possible (you can't go and shield
> every speaker or device with a large magnet in it that's
> already been purchased), so the SSD's would have to be
> manufactured with some kind of far different "shielding" than a
> monitor due to the much stronger gauss of said devices.  I
> guess that would have to be some kind of "cancellation magnet"
> around them sort of like shielded speakers have......but, I've
> never tried that to see how that would work.  The cancellation
> device might have to be only around the magnet itself that's
> causing the field.
>
> I've built speakers before for monitor or TV use with drivers
> that were not shielded, and I was able to shield them using
> some kind of metal.  I'm not sure what it was, it was NOT
> magnetic, at least it was not drawn to magnets.  It looked like
> it had zinc in it.
> -Clint
>
> God Bless
> Clint Hamilton, Owner
> http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
> http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com

>>> fields.  Get too close to one, and your data is fried.