Re: [PCWorks] PC Power supply

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:02:51 -0600

If this is a standard 20-pin ATX, any should do, but it could
be proprietary as many name-brand PC's are which would mean a
replacement could be pretty expensive.  A conventional ATX may
fit, just check the dimensions.  All of my PSU's are in boxes
and put away, but if you need me to get you the dimensions if
you can't find them, I can send them to you.

Newer PSU's may have extra power connectors for other things
the mobo doesn't need, but it is possible **no** PSU would have
special proprietary connections that mobo may need except for
the replacement.  I've seen some strange power and other
connectors on proprietary PSU's before.  What you describe
"sounds" like regular typical 4-pin large Molex connectors (the
kind used for IDE HD's and optical drives), and the floppy
drive type connector.  You can always splice in the old power
connectors if they are special and not found on a new PSU, that
would be cheaper than a direct replacement.

If mounting holes don't match up it's not a problem to drill
some new ones.  Yes, the CPU voltage has nothing to do with the
PSU, only the mobo.
-Clint

Happy New Year to all and God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com/New-Years-sales-specials.html
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com
http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com

My son's computer, made by ABS technology,
had intermittent turn on for a
while. It finally will not turn on at all.
The computer is about 6 years old and the CPU
runs at about 700 Mhz.
The power supply is an SH 250 watt unit with 4 large
connectors, 2 small connectors and the connection
to the main board.
I plugged in an old ATX 200 watt power supply and it turned on
when the start button was pressed.  I believe the problem
with the starting is the power supply and am looking
to purchase a replacement. The power supply I tried does
not have the correct dimensions or connectors and
I would like to get one with a higher power rating.

The fuse in the old power supply is good and beyond
that, troubleshooting becomes questionable.

Are there any items I should be aware of when purchasing
the new supply other than physical dimensions and
mounting holes?  I assume the CPU operating
voltage is determined on the main board..

Wally