Re: [PCWorks] E-Machine

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 06:38:09 -0500

Rocky, disconnect the power connector from the PSU to the mobo,
then manually switch it on.  If all the periph's power up, it's
probably good.

There's 2 wires you short ON AN ATX PSU ONLY, to power it up.
This bypasses the mobo's PWR ON switch header.  See how here:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm .  Jump, then remove it
after if powers up.  Don't do this very long.  Have a DMM handy
then check the voltages with it powering the periph devices.
Put the black neg lead to a black wire, and the red wires
should be about 5v, the yellow should be about 12v, orange
about 3.3v.  More details here:
http://www.orpheuscomputing.com/downloads2/ATX-pinout.rtf

If while doing this the voltages are within spec and the periph
devices and fans are running, it's probably Ok.

If it's not a typical ATX layout (and it's probably not),
you'll have to watch out for what's what.  Also if it's a
24-pin connector PSU, you may have to improvise on that info at
the URL's.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com

From: "Chuck M Harris"

Hi Rocky,

I've seen about 50 eMachines come into the shop since 1999 or
so. At
least ninety percent had a blown power supply or motherboard or
both.
Statistically, the motherboard is bad if the machine is over 3
years old.

Chuck