[PCWorks] Hosts file: Hostsman and the update options, and using SpyBot with it

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:34:22 -0600

A while back were talking about the Hosts files and a program
called Hostsman I think Hugh recommended.  There are 4 update
servers, and the first one (the main one I assume) from MVPS
has not had an update in a long time.  But there's an update at
all the others.  Is it advisable or not advisable to have all 4
checked, or just one at a time, or are the other 3 not
trustworthy?  What if all 4 are checked and there's an update
from more than one, do they "interfere" with each other in some
way or can all updates peacefully coincide in the hosts file?

Regarding SpyBot, we were also discussing using its hosts file
additions along with Hostsman.  I mentioned that any custom
additions one ads to their hosts file are DELETED if SpyBot's
Immunize area is disabled then enabled again.  A while back I
found out that when you update SpyBot and it has updates to the
hosts file list, it does NOT delete or interfere with Hostsman,
nor does it delete your own custom entries.  Strange
considering what disabling/enabling Immunize does.  So if you
ever have to disable the Immunize area, be sure you have a
current backup of your hosts file if you've added any custom
additions to it.
-Clint

Happy New Year to all and God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner