[PCWorks] Fixed-Re: Deleted file keeps coming back even after it's been deleted from EVERYWHERE

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 07:15:06 -0500

I disabled the firewire and still could not delete the file, it
came back.

Next I unpacked the driver.cab file (where it has been coming
from), DELETED the sbp2port.sys from it, packed it
back......AND IT STILL CAME BACK!  I checked the driver.cab
file again to be sure the file was not in it, and the file is
NOT in it.

So then I unpacked the sp3.cab file and it's also in that file
along with driver.cab.  So I did the same thing to it, and this
time I was able to finally delete the file without it coming
back.

Apparently SP3's WFP is different and it is obviously
impossible to delete certain files such as this one (unless you
do the hex editor hack), but for some reason you CAN
delete/rename certain other files, **in the same folders, and
with the same extensions** (if you sort of disable WPF with a
registry change).  I don't know why this file is different than
the other files I've successfully deleted or renamed.

Wally you got me on the right track, it just happened to be in
two .cab files.  Thanks again.

From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin"

Yeah I have FireWire (see my other replies on that).

I've disabled the FW (1394) when I was testing for this issue
(didn't fix the problem), and I didn't think of trying to
delete the file then.  I haven't tried what Wally suggested
yet, and I will along with what you suggest.
Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner