[PCWorks] A new full-featured version of Windows Media Player "Classic"

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:26:16 -0500

Those of you using the Windows Media Player "Classic" (v6.4x)
may be interested in an update.  I haven't used that version in
a while, I've been using something called MPC (Media Player
Classic) from Gabest, but they've stopped updating it at
6.4.9.0.  I posted a newer version to it  not long ago,
v6.4.9.1, by another place
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm/v6_4_9_1__20080127_
and I don't think they'll have another version because Gabest
has abandoned it.

But another place has taken over the development of it and is
calling it "Media Player Classic Homecinema" and has a new
version out from June 28th.  http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ .
The download areas can be confusing, so the Windows 32bit
version is here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mpc-hc/mplayerc_homecinema_x86_v1.1.604.0.zip .
64bit here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mpc-hc/mplayerc_homecinema_x64_v1.1.604.0.zip .

Like MPC, there is no install needed.  You can just put it in
the Media Player folder, then associate all video (and audio if
want) files with it.

Here's some info on it:

"When I use Windows, I yearn for a slimmer media player that
takes me back to the old days of WMP.  This kind of software is
out there, thankfully.  Much of it's free and it packs the
punch that most people need.  Media Player Classic Homecinema
has tried to return to those roots.  Right down to the look and
feel of the old Windows application.  Media Player Classic
Homecinema has the speed and the sleek visual styling of the
Windows Media Player that many of us knew and loved.  But it's
not just a simple clone.  Media Player Classic Homecinema plays
more formats than the old or new Windows Media Player.  Like
Real Media and Real Audio, Apple QuickTime, Matroska, and
others, and of course the usual Windows video files (avi, mpg,
mpeg*, wmv, etc.).  And, like any good media player, this one
also supports CD and DVD playback."

It will even play .flv Flash files, but this Codec may be
needed for that:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm/rev__610__20061201
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_flv_files.cfm

Some info on installing it I posted previously:
//www.freelists.org/archives/pcworks/07-2008/msg00134.html
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner