-=PCTechTalk=- Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off Topic - Jerry's Response.

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:54:09 -0800

Thanks for your response to Jerry..he was really thrilled... Cards are still
coming in!
Below is what Jerry sent/will send to all those that sent him cards...  just
thought everyone would enjoy the info.... Sure makes me feel old...but ALIVE
too!
This will be my last off topic for a bit.... hopefully.... :)
You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program... Tech Talk.....

To One & All,
  Thanks to everyone who took the time to wish me a happy birthday. I don't
know why Rose does this. It's not my birthday! I don't have birthdays! I quit
having them about 15 years ago.(hahaha) Really the cards and greetings were
very much appreciated. Thank you all.
              A few facts about 1938. Enjoy,
                                                           Jerry

1938  or   (MCMXXXVIII as us old people like to say it)

January 13th 1938 Thursday; 3:34am

Born-Jerry Ray Butler-At Westley Hospital, Okla.City,Oklahoma.
The 5th of six boys.

Also Born on-Jan 13-Robert Stack-Pearl Bailey-Gwen Davis-Julia Louis-Charles
Nelson Reilly.

In 1938

Born: Bob Eubanks-Willie McCovey-Wolfman Jack- Etta James- James Farentino- Don
Meredith- Duane Eddy- Johnny PayCheck- Peter Jennings- Connie Stevens- Kenny
Rogers- Eddie Cochran- Christopher Lloyd- Pat Buchanan-Ted Turner- Gordon
Lightfoot-Connie Francis-Jon Voight.

In 1938

The President was-Franklin Roosevelt-Vice President-John Garner

US Pop. was 129,825,000 (today 300,000,000+)

Fed spending- $6.84 billion (in the trillions today)

Unemployment-19% -(1933-25.2%) (2006-4.7%)

The Federal Minimum wage was established $ .25 per hr (1950- .75) (1956 $1)
(1963-$1.25)

Postage was $.03 first class stamp.

In 1938

The N.Y. Yankees beat Chicago Cubs in the World Series 4-0.

The N.Y. Giants beat Green Bay for the NFL Title.

Chicago beat Toronto in the Stanly Cup.

Don Budge & Helen Moody won at Wimbledon.

The Kentucky Derby was won by 'Lawrin'.

Texas Christian University was the NCAA Football champ with a 11-0 record.

Italy won the World Cup. (not held again till 1950, due to the war)

Henry Armstrong simultaneously held the featherweight, welterweight &
lightweight boxing world titles

Heavyweight boxing champion Joe Louis knocks out Max Schmeling in the first
round of their rematch at Yankee Stadium in New York

In 1938

Roy Acuff joined the Grand Ole Opry.

Kate Smith sings "God Bless America" for the first time on her radio show.

The Oscar for Best:Picture-'The Life of Emile Zola'

                             :Actor-Spencer Tracy-'Boys Town'

                             :Actress-Betty Davis-'Jezebel'

                             :Director-Frank Capra-'You Can't Take It With You'

                             :Song-'Thanks For The Memory'

                             :Cartoon(Short Subject) Walt Disney-'Ferdinand the
Bull' ( 5

                                                                    cartoons
nominated 4 were Disney's)

On the Radio-War of the Worlds-Orson Wells.

In 1938

Hitler invaded Austria.

The Pulitzer Prize-Fiction-John Marquand-'The Late George Apley'

                            -Drama-Thornton Wilder-'Our Town'

The Time Magazine 'Man of the Year' was-Adolf Hitler- (1939-Stalin) ??

The First Xerox copy.

Teflon was invented.

The Ballpoint pen went on the market.

The 'Queen Elizabeth' passenger ship launched.

Du Pont announced a name for its new synthetic yarn: "nylon".A nylon bristle
tooth-brush becomes the first commercial product to be made with nylon yarn.

Oil is discovered in Saudi Arabia.

In 1938

Howard Hughes sets a new record by completing a 91 hour airplane flight around
the world.

A Private airplane, the 'Piper Cub' was introduced. (top speed-75mph)
(cost-$1,325)

The Civil Aeronautics Act is signed into law, forming the Civil Aeronautics
Authority in the United States.

Miss America was from Ohio.

A large hurricane strikes Long Island and southern New England, killing over
300 along the Rhode Island shoreline and 600 altogether.

The Superman comic book was introduced.(Batman in 1939)