-=PCTechTalk=- Thunderbird

  • From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:58:56 -0600

I had problems with problems with Thunderbird on my mother's computer also.
She's computer illiterate and never clicks on anything out of curiosity and
she's afraid to make a move, so I don't think she was deliberately or
accidentally changing anything.  I finally got her to quit Juno and I signed
her up with BellSouth and set up Thunderbird as her email program using the
wizard.  BellSouth uses mail.bellsouth.net as both their Pop3 and SMTP
server names.

Mother lives in another city across the river from me, so it's not just a
driver across town to go check it out.  She couldn't get her email for
several days in Thunderbird and it was hard to figure out what was going on
because she doesn't always understand what I'm asking her to find for me or
to do for me.  She could, however, get her mail at BellSouth's website.  So,
I drove over there after this went on for days.   I reviewed the account
settings and found that Thunderbird was using mail.bellsouth.net as the
Server Name and the first half of mother's email address as the User Name
under the Pop3 account settings, but on the SMTP settings it had converted
mail.bellsouth.net to a DNS number and had inserted the first half of the
user name followed by a number sign before mail.bellsouth.net (i.e.,
username#mail.bellsouth.net).  Now, I don't care what it does as long as it
works, but it wasn't working.  I really didn't see any reason why it
wouldn't work.  I fiddled with the settings briefly, changing some things to
see if it would have an impact, then changed them back, and it started
working.

Within a week mother was calling me again with the exact same problem.  I
drove back over there and could find no reason why it wouldn't work.  So I
installed the free Calypso email program and told her to use that instead.
She's been using it for over a month now with no problems at all.  I didn't
know anyone else who was having problems with BellSouth at the same time as
mother, and she was not having problems getting her mail at the server.

dj