-=PCTechTalk=- Start Problem? G-Man...

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:05:13 -0500

G-Man, we've been troubleshooting some things again, and here's what we =
have.  Last weekend hubby and I did the screwdriver on the power switch =
pins test you suggested.  We did it about 6 times and it started every =
single time.  So we plugged the power switch back in and pressed it a =
few times, and the computer started first time every time.  Then it =
missed a time and started on the second time.  We brought it back to my =
desk and hooked everything up and started it a few times, and it started =
the first time each time.  We turned it off and left for a few hours and =
when we got back, I had to press the button over and over for it to =
start.  I changed the power cord on it to one that had never been used =
before, and we tried plugging it into a different plug on the surge =
protector.  I have a Belkin SurgeMaster Maximum Series with 9 outlets, =
phone/fax/modem protection, and a green "protected" light and an amber =
"ground" light, Model #F9M923-08, joules rating 2650.  The green and =
amber lights always glow steadily and never flicker.  This protector is =
5 years old now.  The new cord and a different plug made no difference.  =
It should be noted that when we're troubleshooting it, we take it up =
front to the kitchen where it is plugged into a different electrical =
circuit and we are not using the surge protector for short spurts of =
testing.

Changing the power cord and plugging it into a different spot on the =
surge protector did no good.  One thing that seems to make a difference =
is toggling the on/off switch on the back of the power supply!  We just =
discovered this.  For the past 2 days, it has started during the first 5 =
start button presses after toggling the on/off switch a few times as =
opposed to 20-40 presses otherwise.  What could toggling this switch be =
affecting?  I've tested the power supply several times and moved the =
wires around while doing it and the readings didn't even blip.  This is =
an Antec 430 Watt Truepower 2.0 purchased on October 15, 2006.  It is =
less than 2 years old.  This power supply has the ability to monitor =
case fan speeds when plugged directly into its "Fan Only" plugs, and you =
can monitor the speed of the power supply's fan if you plug its 3-pin =
connector into the motherboard.  I have the back case fan plugged into =
the motherboard, the side case fan plugged into the power supply, and I =
do not have the psu's 3-pin connector plugged into the motherboard =
because I'm planning to put another fan up front to plug into the =
motherboard's front fan plug.  The manual boasts dual 12V output =
circuitry, over current protection, over power protection, under voltage =
protection, and short circuit protection.

I've been told that we can use an ohm meter to test the case switch and =
that it should read 100.  Can you verify this?  I'm still having a hard =
time believing it's the switch because it's done the exact same thing in =
2 cases, this case is brand new, but it does take a lot more start =
button presses in this case than it did in the other and all components =
are the same.  It takes about the same amount of presses in this case as =
the old case if we toggle the on/off psu switch.  I don't know how long =
this will be true.  There were over 400 very good reviews on this =
CoolerMaster case at NewEgg.  I didn't read all of them, but none that I =
read complained of a dead power switch.  Some did say they felt the =
Start button was flimsy and cheap feeling, but nobody had a dead one.  I =
don't personally know of anyone who has ever had a dead one in any new =
case of any brand, although I certainly wouldn't say that it couldn't =
happen.  Obviously this one is not totally dead because it does turn on =
the computer occasionally. =20

Any thoughts?

dj