-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start Problem? G-Man...

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:03:18 -0400

Cajun,
    In troubleshooting all this, the idea here is to reasonably eliminate
each part that can be removed from the list of suspects.  To that end, you
and Hubby seem to be doing a wonderful job.  You are also doing a great job
summing up the steps you're taking and that makes it much easier for me to
even be involved in the process.  So, let's see what's left to put under the
microscope.

    The entire process of turning on your computer involves the switch, it's
wiring, the mainboard header pins and their associated mainboard wiring, the
special +5v line that carries the "On" and related signals, the power supply
that supplies that +5v line as well as the main switch in the back of the PS
which provides power to the entire PS, the power cord that connects the PS
to a source of main power, the surge protector and its internal circuitry,
the wall outlet you use and finally, the circuit breaker in your mains (the
box that controls power for the entire house).  Anything beyond that is also
well beyond the scope of our troubleshooting.

Test:
You changed cases in order to eliminate the switch and its wiring.
Result:
Nothing changed.  The assumption is that the switch was not the issue.

Test:
You tried firing up the system using a screwdriver instead of the switch.
Result:
It started up every time using the screwdriver, so the mainboard is not the
problem.

These two results tell us that something very odd is going on here.  The
screwdriver trick is normally used to point the finger back at the switch,
its wiring or the plug at the end of its wiring, but all of those things
were already reasonably removed from the mix of suspects.  So, either
'reasonably' eliminating the switch isn't enough because you happened to get
a case with another bad switch (possible, but improbable) or something else
is clogging up the works here.

You said that throwing the switch on the back of the power supply enabled it
to work for a while, but leaving the system alone for a while brought the
issue back.  That alone makes me wonder about a possible bad PS switch.
Retry the tester on the big line and try applying some pressure to this main
switch on the back of the unit to see if it fluctuates at all.  Since the
system was off during this 'left alone' time, it may be important to note
that both the system AND the power supply were allowed to cool down.  You
replaced the power cord to the PS and again witnesses no change in the
behavior of the system.  You also mentioned that you run the system through
a surge protector and have already answered my next set of questions about
the state of its lights.  This is very important since the lights will
flicker or no longer work after it has absorbed all of the spikes it can
handle.  At this point, it would be time to replace the surge protector to
regain that protection.  Since yours glows steady, it is assumed that the
protector is doing what you need to do.  You also stated that you are
bypassing the surge protector at times and testing the system on a different
outlet, presumably
(but not verified) on a different circuit breaker.  That is very good to
hear since that would be one of my next choices.

All of this evidence leads me to question whether you have an overall lack
of power available at the mains.  If you have a multimeter, I have a better
use than testing the switch (although you should also do that and report
back with the ohm reading you get).  Switch the meter over to AC voltage and
test each of the wall outlets you're using.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit
to hear that it's coming in at under the expected rating of ~110-115VAC.  If
that's the case (and assuming your in a warm place), it may be due to
heavier loads on the power grid by air conditioners and refrigerators
working overtime.  There may also be an issue where the outlets &/or breaker
you're using are not rated high enough for what you're trying to pull from
them.  Also, the PS tester you have only tests for the presence of voltage,
but may not tell you exactly how off that voltage might be (the LEDs turn on
well before you reach the indicated voltage).

There's more rolling around in my head, but I have to go and get some food
shopping done right now.  Hopefully, you'll have a reply for me by the time
I return and we can pick it up from there.       :O)