-=PCTechTalk=- Re: time patch

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 07:12:42 -0600

I don't think that all techtalk email is coming thru to me... so if this is
a repeat of another post, please forgive.  the below is a copy of mail I
sent out to all my end users wednesday.... the links still appear to work
this morning. hope this helps.

Windows
One of the first patches that should be applied is the Microsoft patches for
Windows XP. The patch can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=66F1420C-DF2D-400B-A8A9-EF9061A9A3CA&displaylang=en

or here:  http://tinyurl.com/2ylwd3   [if the above link is unclickable]

It should also be noted that the patch for Windows XP requires XP SP2 to be
installed, if you have not already done so.  Download the above reference
file to your Desktop, double click it to run.  If your system has already
been updated, you will get a set up error, if this happens, just click OK
and delete the downloaded file.

If you are still running Windows 2000 you will have to do a bit more work
for the time change. Microsoft has released KB article 914387 which outlines
the process you must go to for the change. The method we are recommending is
to download the TZEdit tool from Microsoft.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/a/58a208b7-7dc7-4bc7-8357-28e29cdac52f/TZEDIT.exe

or  http://tinyurl.com/2gd872

Once installed, you can run this tool to manually change your time zones.
This method will require you to manually change the dates for DST.  It will
unzip by default to C:\Program Files\TZEdit\.  Find the TZEdit.exe
executable file in C:\Program Files\TZEdit, double click it and change the
beginning and ending dates as reflected below by selecting your time zone
and clicking the Edit button, after changing the dates, click OK and Close.

Please note the new dates:
DST begins on the SECOND Sunday in March
DST ends on the FIRST Sunday in November

This message is mainly for people who use the Outlook Calendar for
scheduling, reminders and appointments.

If you are running Outlook 2000, XP, 2002 or 2003, you will need to run a
patch to correct time issues that will occur with the change in Daylight
Saving Time this year.

The patch can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e343a233-b9c8-4652-9dd8-ae0f1af62568&DisplayLang=en

or here: http://tinyurl.com/ytgak4

To install, double click on the downloaded file, click the check box at the
bottom to accept the EULA, click Continue.  Change your Original Time Zone
to Central Time [USA & Canada] and click OK.  The program will look for
dates that need updating and will advise you of changes being made, click OK
again to exit the program.

you're done!  and hopefully, this will be the very last patch for the
Daylight Saving Time change we will have to do this year.