-=PCTechTalk=- Re: re-partition hard drives

  • From: "barnestoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:22:27 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 4:34 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: re-partition hard drives

> Thanks!
> this may take longer than I'm thinking it will to back everything up. I
probably
> won't attempt this until after Christmas at this point. I will burn as
much
> data/storage stuff as i can - what do I do with all of my program files to
back
> them up??

Well, if the worst comes to the worse (i.e. t screws up!!) you'll need to be
re-installing everything including the O/S too!! By backing up, I mean back
up everything that you can't re-install from another source...such
asdocuments, downloads..that kind of thing.

> Yes, I looked under properties on my drives, and that is what they are. My
son
> set it up with the help of a friend. I also have a totally separate drive
in
> there that is FAT32 that has my old Windows ME operating system on it. All
> know is that at the time, we had to keep the WinME intact for the warrenty
from
> Dell on my computer. My son and friend were trying to make it so I could
dual
> boot, but that never did happen. So that ME drive just sits there.

****OK...now lets just step through this-you've currently got  TWO hard
drives in your PC, the original DELL one, which is now unusued and a NEW
hard drive your Son installed with a new operating system on it, and  is
divided 2 into partitions?

> Ideally, I would like to hook up the ME drive only, and boot to it, and
> uninstall all the progs that are on there to free space - then I could use
it
> for storage

****Lets just step back a little here...what o/s is your machine actually
running? I assume you have either XP or W2000 as you mention you have an
NTFS partition, and this option only appears if you are running either of
those two. Give me a breakdown of the current set up off your hard
drives/partitions (i.e -letters, sizes, format type, etc...). To get this,
open 'My Computer' and right click on each drive-it should tel you the size,
amount used and the format the drive is in.

****Additionally, could you download the BELARC ADVISOR from here
and run it-you will get a page that details everything that is on your PC.
Click on file and 'save as' and send me the page to my  e mail address (NOT
the list!!) barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxx and that should tell me a lot of what I
need to know.

It's likely that the drive that has ME on it can be wiped totally and simply
but don't do anything yet...send me the info I asked for above first

>. OR - I could re-install the ME system and just have that alone on
> there. HOWEVER!! my Dell warrenty expired in October, so I'm assuming that
it is
> safe to delete that ME operating system. (it is odd, because when I called
Dell
> at the time about doing this, I was told that I couldn't upgrade to xp -
but
> when a friend called - her system was a few months newer than mine, just
new
> enough for XP to have been coming out, and came with Dell's option to
upgrade to
> xp - they sold her XP upgrade at a good price, and she is still covered by
their
> warrenty and didn't have to keep ME on her system)

> anyway - Could this set up be the reason they had to make it FAT 32? I
remember
> he had a lot of trouble with that portion of the install. I think he was
trying
> to make it NTSF and couldn't because of the win me maybe?

Again, I'm assuming here that you are running XP or W2000... It depends
whether he ran the o/s installation while he was booted into XP or whether
he did a full 'clean' install from boot-up.

> I would have no qualms with combining my operating system drive and my
program
> files drive. I didn't expect that would be possible. They are the ones
that are
> both FAT32.
>
> For now, I'll start to burn my files on my NTSF partition to empty it.
When I
> look at it, there are some things that I don't recognize - like an empty
folder
> that says : Config.Msi   any clues what that is from? and an empty
microsoft
> folder and an empty msdownld.tmp folder. and something called WUTemp -
that is
> empty. I recognize everything else -

This is really odd..if your o/s is on a FAT32 drive/partition, you shouldn't
be able to see an NTFS partition from it!!

If you could answer the questions I've asked above (On the bits marked with
****), we'll take it further-carry on backing up your 'stuff' from all your
drives/partitions in the meantime...

Cheers

Andy