-=PCTechTalk=- Re: re-partition hard drives

  • From: "barnestoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:28:46 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PCTechTalk" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I am finally going to try to re-partition my hard drives.
> From what someone here told me, I can do this without losing any of my
data by
> using partition magic.
> I just need to be sure I have enough room on the drive I am taking the
space
> from.
> my question -
> I have the drive that needs to be made larger. It is Fat 32.
> I have two other partitions. One is FAT 32, and the other is NTFS
>
> I would prefer to take the space from the NTFS partion. Is this a bigger
> problem?
> should I leave it alone, and take it from the other FAT 32 partition?
> I need to know which one to try to clear more space on !!
>
> My C drive that needs to be made larger is my operating system.
> the other FAT 32 partition has the majority of my program files on it.
> the NTFS partition is pretty much storage -

Are you sure your Storage partition is NTFS and the partition with your o/s
on is FAT32?  I thought you couldn't 'see' an NTFS drive from FAT32-I know
you can the other way around, so I thought I'd better check

OK, well, here's what I'd do....

FIRST..back every last byte of 'essential' data you have on any of your
current partitions..You SHOULD be ok, but this isn't without risks!!

I take it you want your main (i.e. 'C') partition to be larger, and you want
it to be FAT 32, right? How come? If you are running W2000 or XP, you'd be
far better going for NTFS on your main partition(s), and maybe keeping a
smaller FAT32 partition in case you need rescue any data at a later date if
your OS won't boot.

If you did it that way, convert your existing 'C' partition to NTFS, then
merge the two NTFS drives, and then re-partition them as necessary

If you do really have to keep your OS on a FAT32 partition....

Would the combined total of both of the existing FAT32 partitions be big
enough for your needs? If so, just merge the two FAT32 partitions.

If not, take everything off the NTFS partition, so it is absolutely empty,
then re-format that partition to FAT32 so all of your partitions are FAT32.
Then re-set the partition sizes and formats  to whatever you want.

Whichever way round you do it..BACK UP..BACK UP...BACK UP......

Cheers

Andy

ps-Did I say...BACK UP?????

:-)