-=PCTechTalk=- Re: outlook express

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:06:38 -0500

Thank you for that explanation.  It made it far easier to provide useful
information to you.

Since the son set it up I would assume he has full administrator access.  In
that case, there is virtually noting she can do to keep him out of her email
unless he choses to respect her privacy.

If he set up the laptop for her because she is his sister and he loves her
and he wanted to, she should explain to him her concerns... not only about
privacy but also about changes to her system setup.   If she presents her
concerns in a loving and respectful manner he will still love and respect
her and will fix the laptop to her liking and promise to never ever access
her private data without her permission.

If he did it because he was pressured into it or felt obligated or otherwise
felt he had no choice, she needs to find someone else to maintain her laptop
for her and maybe even get her own internet access account.

In either case, a respectful conversation is clearly called for.

She could create a user account with a password and/or create an identity in
Outlook Express with a password.  Both would do the job, but only to the
extent that he wanted to be kept out.   Local system passwords are easily
found with the right tools and being an administrator makes the task even
easier.

Don