-=PCTechTalk=- Re: how about sending multiple copies

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:18:18 -0500

There is probably several ways that an email can get sent multiple times.
The most common that I have experience with is that somewhere in the
delivery chain, the message did not get deleted after it was sent on.  That
could be at your OUTbox or on your son's ISP email server or on any server
in between.

The couple of times this has happened to me, it was MY fault.   I have my
email client (Outlook Express) set to save a copy of all sent messages to my
sent items folder.  This means that when my outbox sends a message, rather
than deleting it, it moves it to the sent items folder.  When that folder
gets too full it will not accept anymore messages.  So the outbox cannot
move the message and opts to keep it instead.  So everytime OE sends mail,
it sends the message again.

If a mail upload or download is interrupted in some manner and communication
between the sender and receiver is incomplete, the entire packet of messages
could get sent again and again and again until both can communicate a proper
end of transmission.  This will result in multiple copies of a message or
messages being delivered.

Don