-=PCTechTalk=- Re: file association problem?

  • From: DavisUnit <davist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:25:40 -0400

Poppy0206@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 12/27/2003 3:42:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>davist@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

>>What happens when you double click other .hlp files in a
>>different location?
>>
>>Terry
>>

>Nothing happens on those either.
>
>cristy
>
>I did a search for *.hlp* and mostly it came up with my family tree helper
>files and an old program that I dont use anymore called viavoice which I would
>like to uninstall totally.  I have partially uninstalled it already.  But when
>I clicked on those cause they also had the blue question mark, the arrow gets
>a quick hourglass behind it for a second then nothing  happens.
>
>crisyt

You should find MANY help files on your hard drive when you do a search
- alot of them in the \windows\help folder.  If you can't get any to
open, there must be a problem with the association and/or winhlp32.exe
file.  So, right-click a .hlp file (might have to Shift + right-click),
choose Open With.... and select the Windows Winhlp32Stub.  If you don't
see it in the list, click the Browse button and find it in
\windows\system32 folder (and make sure the "Always use the selected
program to open this kind of file" checkbox is selected)

Terry
p.s. Uninstalling a program is done either in Add-Remove Programs, or
the uninstall routine that came with the program and would be located
within the Start/Programs choices.