-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Pro SP 3 Issues?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:09:24 -0400

Bob,
    I installed the official release (IT version) in my sandbox system and
it's running like a champ.  The only difference between the IT version and
the one you get through Windows Updates is that the IT version contains
everything for everyone so that IT types can download it once and then
install it on multiple systems, regardless of the makeup of those systems.
The Windows Update one will provide a much smaller download since it targets
just what your individual system needs.

    As for known issues, MS has had time to make small adjustments to the
download since its initial release, so it should pretty much be kosher for
everyone at this point.  Having said that, I won't supply any guarantees no
matter what file you're looking to install.  Adding an email account could
conceivably break a system given the right (or wrong) circumstances.       ;

    If you choose to let it fly, first install ALL other critical updates,
saving SP3 for last.  This will better ensure that your system has
everything it needs for a successful SP3 installing experience.  After SP3
is installed, you should then go back to Windows Update and get any
additional critical patches it offers, if any.

Peace,
Gman