-=PCTechTalk=- Re: WinAmp 3.0

  • From: "andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lil Cruz" <lilian1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:46:09 +0100

Liz, I'm posting this one back to the list too, as it might help anyone else
who's having this problem

STUDIO.exe is the part of WinAmp which accesses the CDDB (CD Database) to
give you tracks names and artist details

OK, to test something I picked up on a Google search, I just blocked
STUDIO.exe on my firewall,   put in a CD, and I too got an error message and
that Winamp needed to re-start.

If you don't want this feature to run on WinAmp, there is a simple solution.
Open the program, and open the main menu then go to options/preferences.
Look for Audio/CD Playback, then untick the two boxes under Gracenote CDDB
and close the program. Now put a music CD in your CD drive, and you will
find the CD will just start and the 'STUDIO.exe.' will not be called up by
the WinAmp.

It would be nice if, when program manufacturers put in new features that
require access through a firewall, they'd tell you  during the installation
process, so you'd know in advance what to expect when you run the program.

Cheers

Andy