-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The Big Blow Out

  • From: Warren Standifird <wstandifird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:31:31 -0700

Hi Gman,

Since you install floors for a living, you got to be a really tough dude. It
too me almost a week just to recover afterwards. My compressor is a 1 1/2
horsepower 6 gallon Husky from Home Depot. Small compared to yours, but still
bigger than a can of compressed air. It has a drain valve on the bottom of the
tank to avoid moisture buildup in the tank. I keep this valve open whenever the
compressor is not in use which is just about all the time. I don't really have
much use for it right now other than to inflate tires on the car or blow
sawdust off the miter saw. I had been inflating the tires with a bicycle pump.
Perhaps I might get out the old airbrush that I havn't used for years. Despite
keeping the drain valve open when not in use, I still need to install an inline
moisture trap? I guess that it is a good thing that I brought this subject up
here since the moisture trap is something that I otherwise would not have been
aware of, and I thank you for this information.

Warren> I have a very large stand up compressor that we got from an auto shop >
when they went out of business. Since it's non-movable, I run a line over > to
my workbench in the garage for this exact purpose. To use yours for > cleaning
out a tower, desktop or laptop, you really don't need a whole lot > of pressure
(try 20-30 lbs at first and adjust from there). The more > important part of
the equipment is the nozzle you choose. Ideally, you'll > want an attachment
that will both pinpoint the flow of air (>) and also > include a trigger that
lets you use very short, targeted blasts wherever > needed. Also, it's
extremely important that there be an inline moisture > trap (see thru glass
jar) included on the main line coming from the > compressor so that any
moisture buildup inside the tank doesn't come > spraying out of the nozzle onto
your delicate computer electronics. > Depending on the size of your compressor,
this trap will also make it easier > to see when it's time to empty excess
water out of the tank.> > Peace,> G> > "The only dumb questions are the ones
that are never asked"> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Warren
Standifird" <wstandifird@xxxxxxxxxxx>> To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent:
Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:15 PM> Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- The Big Blow Out> > >
> Just got through installing a hardwood floor in the living room. For this > >
project I needed a nailer and an air compressor. We decided to rent the > >
nailer but to buy the air compressor since the cost would be about the > > same
and it can be put to other uses later on.> >> > Since my computer seems to be
very suceptable to heat, I find that I need > > to blow out the dust about
every two to three months. It occured to me > > that since I now have this air
compressor anyway I might as well use it > > instead of the compressed air cans
to blow out the dust.> >> > Just checking to be sure that there is not any
problems with this that I > > may have overlooked and wondering what preassure
setting would be > > recomended.> >> > Thanks so much,> >> > Warren