-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Temporary Internet Files Applet Problem

  • From: "GuitarMan" <pctt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 02:53:29 -0500

Hi Connie,
    The Index.dat file cannot be deleted from within Windows.  The file is
automatically loaded into memory when you boot up the system, even if you
don't have anything running that's related to the internet.  This is because
of how tightly integrated Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer & Windows are.
The way to delete the Index.dat file is by booting up with a Startup disk
and using the command line to delete the file.  The command for deleting it
would be something similar to the following (assuming that C:\ is the drive
on which your OS resides.).

For Win9x/ME:
DELETE C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\index.dat

For WinNT/2000/XP
DELETE C:\DOCUME~1\username\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INTERN~1\UserData\INDEX.DAT

NOTE:  "username" in the above example is the name of your identity on the
system you're using.  Note that this username must be in DOS 8.3 format
since you're working from a command line.  The 8.3 format allows up to 8
characters, a period and a 3 character extension.  If no extension is
present (as is the case with folder names), the period is also not used.  If
the file/folder name has 8 characters or less, the 8.3 name will look just
like the regular name.  If the file contains either a space or more than 8
characters, take the first 6 characters (ignoring the space) and add ~1 for
the last 2.   For example, a folder called \GUITARMAN\ would have to be
represented by \GUITAR~1\ since there's more than 8 characters in the
original name.  Your Program Files folder would be represented as Progra~1
for the same reason.  A folder called \My Docs\ would have to be typed as
\MYDOCS~1\, even though the total characters is less than 8 characters.
This is due to the space between the original two words MY and DOCS.

As a final twist, it's possible to have more than one subfolder with similar
names (the first 6 characters are the same, but the names need to be
abbreviated into the 8.3 format) inside the same parent folder.  In this
case, the first one created will use the number 1 after the ~ character,
while the second one will use the number 2.  As an example, three folders
named \Construction Plans\, \Construction Quotes\ and \Construction
Supplies\ would be represented by the names \CONSTR~1\, \CONSTR~2\ and
\CONSTR~3\.  Which number corresponds to which folder depends on which
folder was created first, second and third and NOT on alphabetical order.

I hope I've explained this well enough to make sense to everyone.  If not,
give a yell and I'll try to clarify any questions you still have on it.

    Having said all that, the applet knows to not bother trying to delete
the Index.dat file so none of the above info can take the credit/blame for
the crashing of the Internet Options applet.  It's most likely a memory
(RAM) problem caused it.  Reboot the computer to fix the hanging applet.

Peace,
GMan

PCTT Owner