-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Restore UP Restore DOWN MAXIMIZE

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:46:02 -0400

Don,
    For some windows, you can get away with modifying the shortcut's
properties as follows.  Right click on the shortcut and select Properties
from the context menu.  On the Shortcut tab, click the down arrow next to
the Run field and select Maximized from the list.  Click OK to close the
proprty sheet.  Note that this doesn't work on all windows (I have no idea
why), but it may be enough to fix at least half of the ones giving you fits.

    For the rest, try resizing the window to something that almost fills the
screen, but does not cover the upper right hand corner.  I start by grabbing
and dragging the upper left hand corner of the window all the way to that
same corner of my screen.  I then grab the opposite corner and resize it so
that it fills up most of the rest of the monitor.  I tend to leave about a
one inch border across the right side and bottom of these windows to remind
me that they are not maximized.  It helps prevent me from accidentally
closing any maximized windows behind it when I'm in a hurry.  Once the
window size is just right, hold down the CTRL key while clicking on the red
X in the right top corner to close the window.  This simple act is supposed
to set the size permanently in the registry.  Reopening it will confirm or
refute this suggestion.  Next, maximize the window in question and then hold
down the CTRL key when you close it.  It 'should' come back up maximized
from that point on, at least until something resets it back to its more
emlarged "restored" state.

Peace,
Gman