-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Registry error

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:51:31 -0500

First off, be careful with System Restore. To answer your question, yes it
could hurt. System Restore should usually be left for lost-hope cases. But,
your computer is functioning right now, and you can still get it up and
running. I would reserve S/R for those more severe instances, due to the
config changes it does.

To see if it's a specific app, you should go into START | RUN | MSCONFIG |
STARTUP tab and uncheck anything in there you're either not familiar with or
familiar with but don't want to start automatically. Restart the computer
and see if that fixes it. If so, then its one of those apps.

If that doesn't get rid of the error, you can try disabling everything in
the STARTUP tab we were just at, and see if again the problem goes away.

Stay away from System Restore for now. Yes, entirely possible that it'll fix
the problem with no other consequences, but there's also a chance that it'll
mess up something else you weren't anticipating.

---Troth