-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Recovering from a missing file that prevents bootup

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:25:19 -0400

Sammi,
    When you're finished your can of 7up, get yourself perky again cause I'm
not letting you off the hook so easily.       lol

    No pic necessary.  I went to the Dell site and grabbed a copy of his
manual for reference.  His board has an IDE port that is currently being
used for his optical drive(s).  This IDE port is located right next to where
the main cable from the power supply plugs in.  It may not be easy to see
right away because there is most likely a wide ribbon cable already plugged
into it.  Most likely, his optical drives are currently using a 40-wire IDE
data cable, which won't work for a more modern IDE hard drive.  You will
need to get yourself an 80-wire IDE data cable to connect between your hard
drive and his IDE port.  All you'll be doing is disconnecting his current
data cable from where it attaches to the board and then plugging in your
own.  No switches, no jumpers, no sweat.  Now get back to work!         :O)

    And as far as you repeatedly calling this a "self-caused ... situation",
knock it off.  First, I don't blame you for trusting the advice of a program
telling you that a file needs to be removed due to infection.  The internet
has become a jungle and we have little choice but to rely on these utilities
to provide us with timely info on what's bad, what's suspect and what needs
to be done to fix them.  the biggest problem is that multiple new threats
are discovered every day and it's an impossible task to keep on top of all
of them without an occasionaly mistake being make by the folks who write the
definition files.  Their focus is always going to be on providing the latest
protection in the least amount of time and the stress of pulling that off
must be tremendous.  Occasionally, a glitch will get through.

    Other than relying on these utilities, the only other thing we can do is
to edumacate ourselves on our systems as much as possible so that we become
a part of the defense mechanism.  In other words, if you had known that this
particular file was absolutely necessary for Windows to run, you would have
been in a position to question the advice to delete it.  Still, there's no
way that anyone can expect everyone who owns a computer to know the system
that well without a reason.  It would be like telling a first time car owner
that they need to study the internals of the combustable engine, just in
case they start hearing strange noises a few years down the road (pun
intended).  So don't sweat it.  This is one of those 'roll with the punches'
situations that is bound to crop up once in a while.  You learn from it, get
it fixed and move on.  But don't blame yourself for it.

Peace,
Gman