-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Quick Launch and Desktop icons

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:16:38 -0400

Harold,
    Windows is designed to 'remember' the state of your icons at shutdown.
Unfortunately, it sometimes gets confused and goes into something like this.

    It sounds like Windows is just forgetting your settings and thinks you
actually WANT the QL turned off and the DT icons set to 'AutoArrange'.  My
primary suggestion is to use your Icon Restore program to put them back the
way you had them, get the QL bar back and then immediately reboot your
system (Start > Turn off computer > Restart).  My hope is that your system
simply had not been restarted soon enough after resetting before.  If you
reset them and then use the system for a while, the eventual "Shut Down"
command may not be able to fully record all of your final user settings
before turning off the machine.  By rebooting right away, you ensure that
these settings have the best chance for inclusion into the buffers final
registry writes.

    Of course, this is not a sure fix for this problem (it probably even
sounds rather far fetched or made up), but I've seen it work on at least 3
systems including one of my own.

Peace,
GMan