-=PCTechTalk=- Re: [Puters_N_Such] RE: [the_bullhorn2] On GOTD programs

  • From: "Larry Southerland" <larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Puters_N_Such@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <the_bullhorn2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:22:37 -0500

Another great site:

http://www.dottech.org <http://www.dottech.org/>  for reviews and for free
software that it is good and useful.

Your friend,

Larry

  _____

From: Puters_N_Such@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Puters_N_Such@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Larry Southerland
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 9:07 AM
To: the_bullhorn2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: thebullhornsbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Puters_N_Such@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Puters_N_Such] RE: [the_bullhorn2] On GOTD programs

Actually, there's a lot more there than that (if you check every day):

Yes, there are a lot of multimedia conversion programs (I use them b/c no
single program seems to have all the features that I need). For example,
only one of them allows you to take input files of different types and merge
them into 1 big file of any type you chose. This is wonderful for combining
a film that was on CD1 and CD2 into one big file to then convert to a
standard DVD movie.

Any disc utility from Paragon is a "keeper"

And much of the so-called front-ends add a lot of functionality (like
Zentimo, which SHOULD have been put into the OS -- it gives you a lot more
information about what you have hooked up via USB and it can force a device
to shut down when Windows remove device would have long given up.

They have a lot of music programs (programs to remove iTunes copyprotection,
programs to catalog your music collection, programs to convert from format x
(e.g., ogg) to format y (mp3). Programs to allow you to find exact
duplicates of files by doing a bit-by-bit comparison, even if the file name
was changed.

They've also had a whole lot of really nice system utility programs that do
better jobs than their Windows equivalents or those utilities don't exist in
Windows(WinUtilities Pro, ICare Data Recovery). I was able to use one of
these programs (that I got from GOTD) to recover all or virtually all of my
celebs after my MBR bit the dust. It took days of running and purchasing a
second drive to place the files on, but it was better than losing 20 years
worth of work.)

The only way to really get a flavor is to subscribe to the email list and
look at what they have over, say, a three month period.

Your friend,

Larry