-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Program: BOUNCE BACK PRO

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:03:55 -0500

Cristy,
    What most folks call an external hard drive is actually two combined
items.  First there's the enclosure, which is what you see when you look at
yours.  Inside it, however, is an actual hard drive.  When purchased
separately, the enclosure arrives empty and it's up to you to 'install' a
hard drive within it.  Some external enclosures are designed to accept the
same type of hard drive that would normally be installed within the computer
tower (3.5 - this it the kind I prefer) while others might be designed for
use with smaller laptop sized drives (2.5), contain room for more than one
drive, etc..  In addition, the internal connectors will vary depending on
whether it's made to work with the older style IDE drives or the newer SATA
variety.

    Putting them together is a breeze.  Open up the enclosure by removing
the four screws on one end and you're in.  Many enclosures have a metal top
plate that can be slid off for even easier access.  Next, attach the
connectors found on the inside of the removed enclosure end to the drive you
plan to use, mount the drive to the bottom plate with four screws and
finally close up the enclosure with the four screws you removed earlier.  A
total of 8 screws and two connectors is all it takes to put one together.
It's often easier than installing RAM.       :)

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org