-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Power Supply

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:03:32 -0400

Well, that's one that's not going to be easy to answer just yet.  I have
purposely avoided even considering one of them for any of my customers until
I can get a clearer picture of their performance differential, assuming one
even exists.  When they first came out, lots of folks were up in arms over
how the extra connection at the PS would make them less reliable and
possibly interfere with full power transfer to the devices attached at the
other end.  I went to college for computer electronics and can tell you that
'connector loss' was also a concern back then.  Still, my gut instinct tells
me that connectors have come a long way and, if the connection ever does
begin to exhibit any fluctuations, all I'd need to do is to pull and reseat
the connections to remove any corrosion between the contacts.

I love the idea of only having the lines you need coming from to the PS
(less hiding of unsightly wiring, better air flow, etc.), but I also don't
have any experience with them to say anything beyond what I've already
stated above.