-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Portable apps vs installed apps

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:33:49 -0400

I agree with the first option, but the second is a bit more work than I'd
prefer to do myself.  That third concept is far too confusing for me to
fully comprehend at this early stage of my day so I have no choice but to
avoid trying to answer any questions on it.    lol

Since portables don't need to be installed, they can be run from anywhere.
That includes the main C: drive, a separate partition, an external drive, a
USB stick, a floppy disk, a network share, etc..  Since I find myself
reinstalling Windows relatively often, I have mine organized within a master
portables folder on a separate partition (located on a second internal hard
drive, but that's not important).  After a reinstall of the OS, I can go
into this area and copy all of the already created shortcuts to my
quicklaunch bar, giving me instant access to them.  This partition always
shows up as using the same drive letter, so the shortcuts are never broken.

If I had stored them on an external, I would have to go into Disk Manager
and set up the drive letter before running any of them.  I could then move
the external to another system and do the same.

As far as storing their data files, I suppose that depends on the type of
program we're talking about and how you normally handle data files of that
type.  If I had to try to keep two different systems in sync like what
you're describing, I would likely keep my Documents folder on the external
and point everything back to that, including any non-portables.  Just
remember that the external MUST be connected and running during every
boot/reboot in order to ensure the retention of its drive letter assignment.
It may be able to grab the same letter after missing a bootup, but it will
no longer be a sure bet (or as sure as Windows normally allows these things
to be).      lol

Peace,
Gman