-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Odd Request - Photo Editing

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:49:53 -0700

While you may not be able to make them look brand new, they can be taken
into a graphics program and enhanced and then printed.

I am currently working on some pictures that are about 80 yrs old to some
that are only about 20 yrs. old.  There are tons and tons of them and by the
time I am done, (God willing I live that long...ha ha!) I will probably be
an expert and want to start over again with the early ones I did.

I just recently got a picture of my mother who I have no recollection
of...left when I was an infant... baby of 9...long story..but she was not
the bad guy...
In any case..it was astounding to see this picture.  It was the picture from
when she became a USA citizen (from Ireland).  It is about 1 3/4" x 2".  We
scanned it in at 300 dpi and I have made a bit of progress with it.  The
thing is..the original picture is not and never was of good quality.  It is
all on the brown tones.

The B & W pics sometimes are easier.  The color ones... are tough, but if
you can select things out, you can change enhance or change the colors.Just
enhancing the colors should make a difference.

A big benefit will come JUST from printing them out again as the photo print
quality is much better these days.  Looking at those old pics, I almost bet
they have yellow edges on them as the white paper turned yellow.  Just
selecting out the edge and changing that to white makes a difference.

What program do you use to do what changes you have... the B & W
contrast...etc.  If you care to send me one directly..off list, I can look
at it and give you a clue maybe as to what can be done.

I have been using Paint Shop Pro for ..OMG!  it is 8 yrs+...I just counted
and figured that out to write this to you..and,, with all the classes &
training and books I have gone through..you would think I would be an
expert!  Wrong!  ha ha!

Anyway...if you want to ..send me a pic...I can see what I can do easily....
and maybe give you some idea.  If you do not have a photo printer, I would
suggest you either upload the pics to a place like Costco  (who is super
duper cheap) or you put them on a disk and take them to your local pharmacy
or whoever does your pics.  They have kiosks in a lot of stores....I think
Wal-Mart may have them too.  I like Costco as their prices are good and the
quality is good.  You can also take your photos to Costco on a disk/CD and
they will print them for you.

I hope I did not give you too much information and confuse you...
Rose
Las Vegas