-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Motherboard died....

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:11:00 -0700

Thanks for the kind words Gman & Ted.
My computer is definitely under warranty..so I am not paying money to them.
Just the gas money and time to run back and forth and report the issues...:)
The techs there, including the supervisor, know me pretty well.   They had a
hard time the day I bought the computer and had them install a better power
supply, a second video card and additional ram.  (The job that they said
would take a half hour/45 minutes took nearly 5 hours.  I was in the store
for over 8 hours that day!  It is a good thing they have a coffee shop and
restrooms that are decent.)

Originally, they were going to charge me something like $150 to install
these items I was buying in their store.  I said forget about it and the
computer.  They had a confab and decided that they would only charge me $25
as they had to charge something.  I suggested $.25, but that did not
fly...lol!

I also had them install the upgrade the Windows OEM Ultimate that I bought
at the CompUSA that was closing and they had 40% off, so I called Fry's Tech
Dept from CompUSA and asked them about it and they said YES ...do it..it is
a good deal and the price was good.  He said he wished he had the money as
he would ask me to buy it for him while I was there.  I also bought Windows
Vista Home Premium to upgrade my Sony that Jerry is taking.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I decided to have THEM install all that
stuff.  I learned long ago not to go to different vendors, but to sole
source stuff.  Otherwise, I would get finger pointing!  It is their
work..No! it is their work...NO! It is THEIR fault!

Now, they know,,, Fry's IS responsible.  They can fight over whether it is
corporate, as it is the motherboard, or the tech dept.

It is NOT "MY" responsibility/fault and that IS what I care about....lol!

Besides the one year warranty, I bought their 5 year warranty, so they KNOW
I am not going away!  lol!

They are use to me.  I bought my Sony from them.  When my hard drive died, I
just brought in the dead hard drive.  The tech said I had to bring in the
machine, as they cannot just replace a hard drive like that.  (They all know
about my loose-leaf book with all the data/cd's, receipts I have.)  I had
all the info they needed.   I said fine it you want me to bring it in, I
will, but I think it might be easier if you put this inside any computer you
have sitting here that is running and open.  You will see it is not working
and then you can just give me a new drive.  Otherwise, I can give you the
computer and the restore disks and you can restore the pc.  If you give me
the hard drive, I will do that when I get home.  The tech looked
startled...thought a minute.... went to the supervisor, came back and
said..stop by when you are done shopping and we will have the drive and
paper work done.
I do not know if I have mentioned here the loose-leaf book I have for each
computer we own.  If you do not care/ do not read on.

THE BOOK

It is a full size loose leaf book.   There is a picture of the computer
under the plastic on the front of the loose-leaf book. (The picture is from
the Store's site)  The name of the computer (Make/Model) shows on the book
like the title of a hard cover book shows so we can see it when it is on the
book shelf.

We have lots of clear plastic pages and also the pages that hold cd's/dvd's.
Everything that comes with the computer as far as paperwork, goes in that
book in plastic pages.  We have the store purchase and warranty receipts.
We also have a copy of every repair receipt.  (Computers do not come with a
lot of books and paperwork any more, but the ones we have that came with
that stuff have that material in the loose-leaf, like the leaflets for the
wireless keyboard and mouse and the sound card and .  As a matter of fact,
this one came with a manual and I bought some Velcro to put on the plastic
page to keep it closed as the manual is about a half inch thick.  It is not
a very helpful manual, but I have it.  lol!  It has more to do with
installing the operating system and stuff.  Who knows, someday I may care
more about what it says.  Of course, it is a generic book although it was
supposedly written/put together for my machine.

In the cd/dvd section, I have the disks that came with the system or the
restore disks we create.
I also have lots of the cd's/dvd's of programs that are installed on the
computer.
Most of the programs that are on our computers are on shelves in the closet.

The closet was suppose to be for clothes. (Some people think they need those
things...lol!)
Jerry took off the double doors (They are hiding behind my dining room china
hutch.  No one can see them.)
He then put in shelves all the way across the closet.)
This closet also has all the spare parts, and some stuff that should be
donated or recycled.  We have all our office supplies in there too. There is
never enough room.  We are going to address that this summer.

We do NOT go out and play in the 100+ -110+ temps.  In other words, we will
be home LOTS between now and mid October.

I strongly suggest everyone have such a book.  It is so much easier when you
have to call tech support and they want all these numbers.
Another thing I do, I know..I know..I know..I am so analytical I drive folks
nuts...........

On the cd's white envelopes.... I write the serial number in large letters
so you can actually read them!
I also write which pc the software is in and the date it was installed.
This way, if we forget to put it back in the book (a crime with a severe
penalties  lol!), we can put it back in the right book.
This also helps knowing the expiration date of subscriptions like Norton.

It is just so nice to go to one place and have all the information
available.

AND...it really impresses the tech guys..and hey take you seriously.  They
'think' you know what you are talking about!
I have no contacts or I would copyright this book and get the computer
companies to give them to their customers.  It would be beneficial for them
to help them for their tech depts!
I have done the informal copyright thing, but, I would like to market
this... I do not even want so much money as I would like folks to be able to
get help when they need it.  If they have the information they need to tell
the tech, it makes life easier for the techs and the techs can tell them
look at this page..or whatever.
Ok..I have rambled on enough.....
Gotta go to bed.
Mail is being weird...
Yahoo must be messing with me.  I have not gotten mail for a few days even
for the group that is mine!

Have a happy...hope to be back soon...
Rose
----------------------------
From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:59:01 -0400
Rose,
    You keep this up and you'll soon find yourself working at Fry's as the
tech supervisor.            ;O}
    It may be sad to hear that a customer is better at troubleshooting a
brand new system than the guys paid to do it for a living, but it's
definitely more a testament to your own knowledge and understanding of these
infernal contraptions that impresses me the most.  They should give you some
money back for steering them away from the OS as the culprit.
lol
Peace,
GMan