-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Media Player etc problem

  • From: "barnestoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:22:00 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janette" <ghostpops@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:54 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Media Player etc problem

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've had a problem with Mediaplayer 9(and the version before that) playing
> mpeg/mpg's on my computer. I'm using WinXp Pro. It also doesn't play
mp3's,
> so I installed Realplayer and that worked for awhile. I recently purchased
> camera that does movie clips in avi format, but not one player on my
system
> will play it. I used a program called GSpot and it said I need a codec,
> which I installed, but it still won't work. Does anyone have any
suggestions
> for me?

From the top..In Windows Media Player, you need to make sure that the
formats you are playing back are enabled. I've not got V9 here, but I have
at home- I think if you click on Tools, then options-look for the 'formats'
tab and make sure the type of files you want to play are ticked.

Onto your camera files... .I have GSpot, and it's very good, but I find
aviCodec simpler and better-get it here (It's not a big download)

http://avicodec.duby.info/

avi is a standard format, but there are variations within it, hence why you
were told you needed a codec-can you remeber qwhat GSpot told you to
install?

> Just as a point of interest, if I open the file in Jasc's Animation Shop,
it
> runs, minus the sound obviously, but I would still like to play it in the
> normal way.

It does sound like this file is a DivX encoded file, but if you open it in
aviCodec and let me know what the video and audio information is, I'll try
and help you more.

Cheers

Andy