-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Just a little tip..........

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:20:24 -0500

I'm with Don, but even more so.  I truly don't see the value or the need
for 'shorter links'.  I've never found wrapped links to be a problem
and, as Don said, when you click on a 'shorter link', you have no idea
where you're going.

It's kinda' like html in email; it's cute but it's also dangerous, and
totally unnecessary.

Also, there's this, from Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",

">>As an example, lets look at the link:

 >>http://www.audiogalaxy.com/satellite/index.php?SID=89eb207ee536f0f730e
 >>f195239bf6421
 >>
 >>Using TinyURL, it becomes:
 >>
 >>http://tinyurl.com/5ccty
 >>
 >>The only problem with this is there is no way to recognize what the
 >>link is later.  To solve this, you can give the link a name - any
 >>name
 >>you want.  To accomplish this, place a space, question mark, and
 >>another space between the URL and the description.  As an example, a
 >>URL would look like --  URL ? NAME-of-URL.  Using the TinyURL from
 >>this post, it would look like this:
 >>
 >>http://tinyurl.com/5ccty ?  Audiogalaxy's peer-to-peer network "

This is way too much to go through.  If I want to post a link, I'll post
the link.  The above takes a perfectly good link, easily identifiable,
makes it obscure, and then identifies it again.  Back and forth, back
and forth.  No thank you, I'll just post the link.

Tom