-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IMAP vs POP

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:21:05 -0400

The emails that I need to extract from almost never have text in them
that I want to read.  I can POP them and run my extractor utility and
delete them.  I don't see a need to keep them on the server for access
also.

Of course, that may change as I learn more about IMAP and the hosting
server capabilities and capacity.

I use the utility Outlook Express Attachment Extractor.  It also comes
in versions for Outlook and Vista Windows Mail.  It works!  I love it.
And the price is *very*reasonable.  (www.ope2000.com)  But I am always
open to new ideas so if/when you get email caught up I would
appreciate knowing what utility you have for the the job.  Is email
*ever* *really* caught up?  :-))

IIRC there is a Mozilla based local email client (Eudora??) that will
automatically extract attachments.  I might check that out.  If it
also will extract embedded pictures as well as the attached pictures I
might use it as my local client.

Don