-=PCTechTalk=- Re: How many "Desktop"s is enough??

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:46:47 -0400

Roger,

Gman forgot to mention about the Desktop.ini files.  These files are usually
hidden and marked as system files, so you can only see them if you have
Explorer set to view hidden and system files.  They are created when you
customize a folder, like changing the icon that the folder views as when
using Windows Explorer.  They are also created by Windows in many areas
Windows considers "system" areas like C:\Windows\ and C:\Documents and
Settings\ folders and sub-folders.  If you delete the desktop.ini files in
these system areas, Windows will usually re-create them when the folder is
accessed again, but you will lose any customizations if there were any.  In
the non-system areas deleting the desktop.ini will again lose any
customizations, but I'm pretty sure they won't be re-created unless you
customize the folder again.

Ed

in the Subject.