-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HFS file server

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 00:34:33 -0400

Don,
    See below

From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 11:49 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- HFS file server

> Self Test reports failure (as expected):
> The test failed: server does not answer.
> You are behind a router.
> Ensure it is configured to forward port to your computer.
>
> How do you do that?   I've browsed through the router configuration
> screens and didn't see anything that I recognized as maybe being port
> forwarding related.

In my router, it's under "Security > Address Traslation > Port Forwarding"
I have two of those entries and since my ISP is a PPPoE server, I have to
use the NAPT one as opposed to NAP.  Once inside, I created a rule to allow
HTTP through TCP on port 80 to my internal network IP (192.168.x.x where the
x's are specific to my individual machine).

>  Do I need to allow hfs.exe to act as server in my firewall settings?
> Common sense says yes, (DOH!) but common sense does not always apply to
> computers and software.

Yes, the firewall must allow the server to act as a server.

> Also, what sort of security risks are involved in using this server?  How
> do I cover them?

All communication will be limited to the specific port used '80' and any
other attempts will first be met be the router's firewall and, although it
should never come to this, by your software firewall.  Even on port 80, the
only things this server will recognize will be upload and download commands
so anything else is discarded.  If you have any folders that allow
uploading, those uploads can contain anything.  However, it takes a command
to get anything to run, so no harm can come from simply accepting uploads.
Before going near anything in the upload folder, you should definitely run
an AV scan to check for malware unless you have told someone specifically to
upload a suspicious file so you can test it in your sandbox (VirtualPC or
another VM).

> If I share a link with a group and 50 (or 100 or 1000) people all click to
> download (or upload) at the same time will my hard drive melt?

Internet speeds are reduced by anything that's using your internet
connection.  50 at the same time would likely brings things very close to a
trickle for all involved, but Windows should automatically prevent that from
happening.  Most folks would likely receive a "Try again later" type
warning, but I have never tested this idea.

> The link you provided gives a friendly intro to the program but is
> woefully lacking in specific details (example: it says the self test
> failure is most often caused by failure to forward port correctly but
> gives no hint as to where to find it in the router setup or how to
> correctly set it).  I guess they think only highly trained professionals
> will (or should) be using the software.

The FAQ & forum is where you'll find all of the specifics.
http://tinyurl.com/6dtuk2
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?c=6