-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HFS file server

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:42:23 -0400

Don,
    While I don't know exact numbers offhand, consumer operating systems
have limits on how many total external connections they can have going at
one time.  By default, only 2 active internet connections are available at
any given moment.  If you attempt to open more, Windows is forced to bounce
around between them until all requests have been either served or timed-out.
Just within a simple network, you are only provided access to about 80% of
the available bandwidth at any one time (the rest remains in 'reserve').
Add the fact that most folks have MUCH lower uploading bandwidth than they
get for downloads (most likely including your own uploading speed, which
limits their download speed potential).  Server operating systems open up
the channel a great deal, but are still limited by their ISP's uploading
speed limitations.  Just bear in mind that I'm talking in general terms
here.  The specifics could fill an encyclopedia's worth of pages.

    Having said all that, 60kb/s is a rather impressive output compared to
what my own ISP will allow me to serve.  My uploading speed maxes out at
about 24-25kb/s.  My download speed is maxed at 140kb/s.  Count your
blessings.       :O)