-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!!!!!!

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freelist" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:15:04 -0500

Hi Pat

First we need to gather something by coping it for later use in the setting
up of the first rule.

Bring up one of the messages you get that you want to get rid of and right
click on it and select Properties. Click on the "Details" tab and find in
there where it says "From" and gives the senders addy. Highlight and copy
everything from the @ to the right of it. Hopefully this is an email that is
not from some place like Hotmail or AOL or Yahoo where you may be getting
other mail. If it does, for now select another email.

I set up 3 delete folders. One labeled "From", another Labeled "Subject" and
a third Labeled "Body" in OE. I suggest you do the same for right now.

Now in OE go to Tools highlight Message Rules, click on Mail and a message
rules dialog box will come up. Please notice the message block option in
this dialog box, but we will come back to that. Click on the "New" button
top right and that will bring up a "New rule" dialog box with 4 areas that
you will select from.

The first being "select the conditions for your rule". This time I would
select by checking the box "Where the from lone contains people". It does
not matter if the sender is a person or not. Please browse through the rest
of the options as you will be using them next.

The second area is labeled "select the actions for your rule". Here I would
initially set it up to go to a specific folder by checking the box "Move it
to a specified folder". At this time I would not select "Delete it cause you
want a time period to text that you have set up conditions that will NOT
eliminate some wanted email. Believe me it can and does happen.

The third area is labeled "Rule description (click on the underlined area to
edit it). It will also be a different color.  The first sentence in here
will say "Where the from line contains people". Contains People will be
underline and in blue. Click on that and a "select people" dialog box will
come up and the cursor blinking in the input box. Please notice that the add
button is grayed out now. Go to the input box and paste the addy you copied.
Now Notice that the ADD button is active now. Click on the ADD button. You
must do this or it will not take effect. You will now see the addy come up
under the People input box just below. Click the OK button. You will now be
back in the "New rule message" dialog box. Click on the underlined "Specify
folder". You will see a move dialog box come up with a diagram of all your
email folders. Click on and highlight the from folder you created under the
main delete folder. Click on the ok button and it will take you back to the
New rule dialog box.

The fourth area is the name of the rule. I suggest you type in their "Delete
From". You can put anything in their you want, I suggest this cause it will
help you on the future. Click ok. You will see the new rule name added to
the first area in the message rules dialog box area. Click ok and your new
rule will now go into effect.

For the Subject rule you will copy or type the subject (Hopefully it will be
unusual and unique) instead of the from line. Go back to the to the dialog
box and select the one for the subject and proceed as before.

For the Body one, select something from the body of the email that is
different and unique. Copy or type this into the selected part in the third
area of the message dialog box.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you need further help.

Bob

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's