-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DON- Re: HELP FOR DBX files

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:01:07 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patricia" <rhekay@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:07 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: DON- Re: HELP FOR DBX files

> her reply
> well im not from the twilight zone  lol   and yes there is a path  in the
> message store place but I don't have the folders named in there ..I think
> when that stupid tech support had me do what ever it was to fix my OE it
> messed up the  path.......I may just have to reformat to get the right
> path
> back ...thanks for sending this I appreciate all your  checking for me....

WHOA!!! STOP!!! Don't reformat yet.

When you open Outlook Express... Do you have email? Either old or new. Can
you read your existing email?  IF yes, then you HAVE the path/folder that is
in the dialog box.  You just can't find it for some reason that I can't
figure out from the information provided.

What happened when you pasted the store folder path into Windows Explorer
address box and hit enter?

Try this before you reformat...

Click START> SEARCH>All files and folders.

In the "All or part..." box type in    "*.dbx"  without the quote marks.

Leave the "A word or phrase..." box blank.

In the "Look in:" box it should default to a list of all of your hard
drives.  At a minimum you should have  "(C:)" without the quote marks.  If
your drive has been partitioned or if you have more than one harddrive
additional letters will also be present similar to (C:;D:;E:;H:).

If you are not sure that all hard drives are listed then click the little
arrow to the right of the box.  If you have partitions or a second hard
drive you will find an entry like this: "Local Hard Drives (C:;D:;E:;H:)".
It will be the first entry under MY COMPUTER.  If you have only one drive
the entry will look like this: "Local Hard Drives (C:)".

Click that entry.

Beneath the "Look in" box you will find three options.  Click on the last
entry  "More Advanced options".  If you don't see green check marks in the
box by the first three options click each box once to put a check mark in.
Those boxes should be labeled "Search system Folders", Search hidden files
and folders" and "Search subfolders".  Leave all other advanced options
UNchecked.

Click the Search button.

Your dbx files will be listed in the right hand window pane.  Right click on
a file you know to be one you are looking for (inbox.dbx or outbox.dbx for
example) and select "Open containing folder.   Depending on what you or your
technician or the original installer of the software have done you may find
more than one folder with email dbx files in them.  use the file names and
dates to determine which one you want.  You will likely find other non-email
dbx files on your system... such as template.dbx.  Ignore them.

I have a screen capture of what this should look like before you click
Search.  Unfortunately it is over 4 MB in size and I don't know how to
resize it.  If you want it let me know and I will send it privately.

Please note:  Your drive letters may vary from the examples I used.  If you
have only one drive and it is not partitioned you will see only one drive
letter... most likely, but not necessarily, it will be C:.

Don

---
Just back from a nice 2 week vacation.  Please bear with me as I catch up.