-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DHCP Client problem

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 23:25:28 -0400

Glad to hear it's working again, ya have to wonder what happened to that port
thou.

About DHCP, when your computer gets an address fromthe DHCP server, there is a
RENTAL / LEASE time assigned with it, my router assigns 24 hours, other servers
assign various amounts of time. Bottom line is once this time has expired the
computer must stop
using that address.

Normall this is not a problem because, once 1/2 the time has been used, the
computer should start re-negotiating with the DHCP server to re-new the lease
of that address, if this fails it will try again at 1/2 the remaining time, as
the lease expiration
draws near it tries more often. The DHCP server can either renew, ignore, or
cancel the lease anytime the computer asks for a renewal. If the lease is
cancelled or expires your computer must negotiate for a new IP address lease.
All of this should happen
transparently behind the scenes, and it should happen very quickly, fraction of
a second as long as the DHCP server is readily available. On large networks
with lots of traffic there could be problems on small home/office networks <20
machines there should
be no problem.

-Jim-