-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Compaq Problem

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:25:53 -0500

Steve,
    The only reason for the dual-boot is because of whatever is trying to
install.  MS's install routines automatically make that change so that
subsequent boots will go straight into the install rather than back into the
main OS it's trying to 'upgrade'.  These changes to the boot.ini file are
removed once the upgrade has been completed.

    The cure, as you discovered, is to us the arrow keys to force the boot
menu to stop its two second countdown so you can select the main OS instead.
You then have to edit the Boot.ini file to remove the reference to the
install routine.  You may have noticed that the install also changed how
much time the boot menu will wait before going back to the install.  The
default is 30 seconds, although that's ignored if there is only one choice
in the boot.ini file.  The Windows installer changes that to the 2 seconds
you experienced here.  Again, it's reset back to 30 seconds once the install
has successfully completed.

    You are not going to be able to Defrag until there is enough free space
for Windows to move files around while it puts the pieces back together.
Boot back into Vista and either run the Cleanup utility or empty out the
various Temp folders manually (in XP, there's one in the Windows folder and
one within the Local area of each user account.  Vista should be similar).
Chances are VERY good that they're overflowing with useless junk that's
taking up a ton of valuable space.  Don't forget to also empty out the
Temporary Internet Files and then empty the Recycle Bin.  Then, run a full
CHKDSK before attempting the Defrag again.  For CHKDSK, open a Run box and
type in CHKDSK /F to get it started.  you'll likely be told that it cannot
be run while files are in use and would you like to schedule it to run
during the next reboot.  Click Yes and reboot.  The scan will likely take a
while to run, so start it just before going off for a meal or bedtime.
Then, you can give Defrag another shot knowing that you won't be disturbing
any possibly corrupted files (CHKDSK will have taken care of those ahead of
time).

    I can't help you much to determine what's clogging up the D drive.  With
the possible exception of it being used as a temporary 'holding tank' for
Windows Updates (and even that shouldn't happen), nothing should ever be
allowed to write to that volume.  Check the dates of every folder in the
root of the D:\ drive and see if there's anything newer than the others.  If
you find something, look at the dates of the folders within it.  Keep going
like this until you find the folder or folders that caused those date
changes.  It might turn out that the computer maker has pushed some updates
to its own Recovery routine.  Then again, you might find some things
unrelated to the routine that really shouldn't be there.  Whatever you find,
report back BEFORE you do anything to any of the files on that volume.  You
don't want to do anything that might damage his ability to use the recovery
routine once the rest of the system is cleaned up.

    Finally, discuss with him his options for getting some of his more
important stuff backed up.  If he has a second physical drive or access to
one (a friend who has an extra, perhaps?), he should get his stuff backed up
ASAP, just in case anything here goes poorly.  If no external or spare is
available, there are sites online that will let you back up a certain amount
for free.  Several of these sites might provide enough room to save the most
important things he has in there.  As it is, the system was trying to do
something he knew little, if anything, about so who's to say the next time
won't wipe out the entire drive.

Happy Holidays,
Gman