-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Compaq Problem

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 19:22:17 -0500

Hi Steve,
    Check his upgrade disk to see if it includes Vista SP1.  If it doesn't,
this may simply be part of SP1's install routine (assuming his system is
just now getting around to finally installing it).  I've gone through SP1's
install before and it treats things as though it's installing Vista from
scratch.

    Second, that dual-boot screen that only blinks at you can still be
prevented from moving forward.  The trick is all in the timing and the key
you press.  If you have a good idea of when it's going to come up, start
pressing the down arrow key just prior.  You have approximately a 2 second
window in order to press the key and prevent the boot menu from choosing the
install routing, but most of that time goes by before the screen actually
shows you the menu.  This is likely your best bet for getting into Vista
Proper and figuring out what's really going on there.  Again, I suspect it's
an install of SP1.

    Yes, you CAN physically install another drive, disconnect the original,
install Windows (any NT variety will do) and then shut down, re-add the
original drive, ensure that the BIOS is set to boot to the new OS drive and
then use that to see what's going on in the original drive.  However, you
will not have easy access to the affected OS itself since it will be sound
asleep.  Even access to that OS's registry becomes difficult at best.

    Keep us appraised of how you're coming along and perhaps you'll spark
some additional ideas from me and the rest of the group as they're needed.

Happy Holidays,
Gman