-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Cascading Wireless Routers

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:06:32 -0500

Hi Dan

No particular reason for 10.x.x.x....   Just needs to be different than
the first one. Each router should be outside of the net mask of the
other router. So if you use 255.255.255.0 on each router, then changing
the 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.2.0 on the 2nd router will be fine.

If your in an environment where others will try to gain access to your
private network then you might consider using WEP or WPA, otherwise the
MAC filtering will be fine and doesn't add overhead to your machines
like WEP & WPA do. (WEP & WPA encrypt and decrypt each packet usually
using the local processor and memory, this would be more noticeable on a
slower machine than a fast one, also adds to the delays.)

-Jim-