-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Cable Modem - Again!

  • From: "rawhide101" <rawhide101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:17:44 -0400

Good evening. Will retain thread for reference info.

I have the SB3100 modem.
Was unsure if my modem address would access your modem so I didn't provide it.
My system has been operating for months with these values (plus or minus one):

Signal Downstream:  S/N 35 dB, Power Level 0 dBmV;

Signal Upstream:  Power level 54 dBmV  As I recall, for my modem, more than 58
dBmV causes crosstalk and the system loses sync, which would cause the symptoms
you have.

Addresses, and more, will show all info on back of modem.
It's easier to read than the plates on the back of the modem.

Logs will show the symptom that existed when things went wrong.

The cable company is apparently up front with you by explaining the situation.
You might insure you are on 'down time' as long as you are unable to use the
cable ISP and you telling the cable company about it.

I rent my modem so the cable company is responsible for everything except my
computer and power connections.

You might have the power outlet for the computer checked to insure it is
properly wired. The ground wire was missing on one of my computers; computer
appeared to be ok; surge protectors weren't happy until ground wire was found in
the wall and attached to receptacle.

You might read literature for all power control devices you use (strips, surge
suppressors, battery backup, etc) to insure all are installed in accordance with
manufacturer's specs. Proper grounding is a must.

If all power devices are properly installed, the problem is not your fault.

Hope cable company fixes what is wrong. When it works, it works... it is
frustrating when it doesn't.

No one else has replied, so I shall...