-=PCTechTalk=- Re: [CHAD] WMP 9 - Cross post

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Computer_Help_and_Discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:03:23 -0500

I've cross-posted this to several groups.

I finally decided to download and install WMP 9.  I'd heard that WMP
9 had several quirks and had put of loading it.  The only reason I
did so now was because I downloaded and installed a program called
Sidebar that someone recommended recently.  More on that in a minute.

The installation of WMP 9 was not clean -- I had to install it
several times as I kept getting a message it wasn't fully installed -
try again.  I finally resorted to what should be a standard operating
procedure.............turn off ALL programs and install clean.  When
I did this, it still said it didn't install, but I opened it and it
worked just fine.  I haven't had a problem since ???

On a side note, the program SideBar (which was the cause for my
downloading WMP 9) is pretty cool.  I tried this program on
recommendation of another reader as part of a test of several
"newsfeed" programs.  I wanted programs that would provide news
information in Tickertape fashion without the SPAM/ads/etc. or
security issues (want a lot don't I? <G>).  I tried several and
dumped all but two immediately.  The two I really liked were this
SideBar program, and the BBC tickertape.  The BBC program is ad free
and runs great.  Obviously it's based on news from Europe, though.  I
like this as it gives a different slant to world news than we get
here in the US -- and that may be even more important in the near
future.

SideBar works pretty well so far and is very, very configurable.
This is a freeware program and is loads of fun to work with.  Here's
the site:

http://www.sidebarxp.republika.pl/

I use the XP version, though there are versions for other Win OS
versions.  If you use MS Outloook, it's quite powerful.  I don't (I
use Poco) but there are many other neat options including:

The SideBar shows the following:

*  Clock panel ? This is very simple panel, just an ordinary clock
but when you rest your mouse on it, it will display a calendar in a
details window.
*  Calendar Panel ? This panel displays your appointments from
Microsoft Oulook.
*  Tasks Panel ? This panel displays your Tasks from Microsoft
Outlook.
*  Inbox Panel ? This panel shows the contents of your Inbox. If you
rest your mouse on message it displays message body in a details
window. You can choose any mail folder to display in this window and
of course you can display any number of such panels.
*  Notes Panel ? This panel displays your Notes folder from Microsoft
Outlook. As in the case of others ?Outlook? panels you can add or
remove notes to Outlook by the context menu in this panel.
*  Messenger Panel ? This panel displays your contacts from Windows
Messenger
*  Newsroom Panel ? This panel is RSS/RDF Newsfeed reader. You can
display news downloaded from many servers around a globe in this
panel.
*  Performance Panel ? This panel displays information about the
workload of your computer.
*  Disk Monitor ? This panel informs you about the amount of free
space on your hard drive.
*  Media Player ? This panel allows you to control Windows Media
Player from Sidebar and information about playing media is displayed
here so if you are curious what is playing just look at Sidebar
*  Toolbar panel ? You can move Quick Launch toolbar from Windows
Taskbar to this panel. This will allow you to save precious space on
your taskbar.

Not bad for free....eh?

Now, add the SideBar to Dave's Search Bar (also free) and you have
some awesome power in your toolbar.  Dave's Tool Bar can be found at:

http://www.dqsd.net/

>From the site -- Dave's Quick Search Deskbar is a tiny textbox that
Dave Bau designed for search hounds with weary mouse-fingers.  Unlike
the Google Toolbar, this little deskbar lets you launch searches
without starting a web browser first, directly from your Windows
Explorer Taskbar.  Don't forget to look at the other various search
capabilities that are part of the program.  A right click on the
search window gives you a menu with lots of choices besides Google
for your searches!

This is a great combination.  I'm finally getting to my "ultimate
setup" -- you know, those programs you simply can't live without!
......I started to type "try them all -- they have the coveted
Master NetLord Seal of Approval".  Ya know, it's time to update the
slogan though.  Let me say .................... These all have the
coveted Keyboard Cowboy Seal of Approval!!   Enjoy.

 Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",

     ,,,,,,,,
     Ô¿Ô¬
  Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
Saturday
3/8/2003
13:50:02

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|:0:|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|

¤¤¤¤¤ On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 09:51:34 -0000
¤¤¤¤¤ quantum_physics_2001 wrote:
¤
¤ Hi, I always disable selected tracks/songs of the CD when I use
¤ Windows Media Player because for for many of my CDs, I usually like
¤ to play a few selected songs only instead of all the songs. Before
¤ I upgrade WMP to version 9, the older version of WMP's able to
¤ remember which selected tracks/songs I had disabled so that I don't
¤ have to do the disabling manually everytime I use WMP. But since I
¤ use WMP 9, it no longer do the same thing. May I ask if anyone can
¤ shed some light on this? I am wondering if WMP 9 no longer have
¤ that same function or if it's because of my setting. Thanks for
¤ your help.
¤
¤
¤ On a different note, the script error message and the pop up
¤ message that ask me to enable or disable the script is very
¤ annoying. It keeps on poping up everytime I play music or open WMP.
¤ My security setting is the highest in windows explorer. Is there
¤ any ways I can stop those pop up windows or error message without
¤ changing my security setting?
¤