-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Buying new computer............long

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:56:05 -0500

At 09:22 AM 12/2/2003 -0900, you wrote:
>OK, when I get home tonight I'll send them to the list with my take on
>stuff.  As far as Dell not wanting to help users remove spyware they added
>to their machines, I don't really see why anyone has a problem with that.
>Why should they?  It has nothing to do with their product.  That's sort of
>like asking General Motors to help me fix my car that I've rebuilt and added
>lots of aftermarket items to yet when they don't work properly, it must be
>GM's fault.  But that's just my .02 cents.   Kat
>

>The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of greatest
>moral crisis, maintain their neutrality. --- Dante 1265-1321

Why? Never asked for advice before?  The only way to be a complete idiot is
to NOT ask for help.

>I am a senior female trying to buy a new computer.
>Have had two Dells and have been more than happy with them.
>Now looking at the Dell Dimension 8300 but in the 5 years since I bought my
>present system too many changes have occurred and I am at a loss in making a
>choice between the options Dell lists under each category.

What you will get now as a basic system will be a 2.2GHz CPU or higher,
with Windows XP Home.  XP is a completely different OS than anything like
Win98 or ME.  It is built on the NT platform and works differently than
Win98 but the user interface is very similar.  Microsoft just moved some
things around and it has the added security features of NT.

>Not sure what I need to purchase in order to have two monitors running (this
>present one is a 20 in. Trinitron - a freebee from Dell when the
>original monitor quit just as my 3 year warranty was up).

A video card with dual output or one that has an analog and a digital
output.  Analog is the blue 15 pin HD connector and the digital will be,
well, the digital output that can run an analog monitor if you get a $5
adapter.  Like my Radeon 7500 Series.

>  I also
>wondered if there is some way I could hook my present CPU into the new set
>up (it has two disks - 1 with l3.4 GB and the 2nd a 40 GB divided into 4
>partitions totalling about 36 GB.)  I would be happy if I could
>just access it as a "storage facility".

You can either set up a simple network with a network card in each system
and a crossover Cat5 cable or use a hub and share info as well as an
internet connection.  Or you could just move the harddrives into the new
system. My guess is that any new system will have at least an 80GB
harddrive so much of your 'stuff' can be transferred.

>I have been playing with
>graphics and hate to lose the "stuff" I have collected .
>
>I know nothing about the new DVD/CD and whatever configurations.
>Or about the newest sound hardware/software.  So I am at a loss as to what
>to choose.
>Firewire????

Good to get as many things like cameras and external harddrives now connect
this way.

>    Memory sticks??????

Get at least 512MB or RAM and make sure it is as fast as the board will
handle so upgrading CPU's will be easier.

>I guess - bottom line - I would like to have a system without
>limitations......... :)

There is no such animal but there are a lot of companies out there willing
to take your money.  My advice is to buy just behind the "bleeding" edge of
technology.  Usually you get the best bang for the buck this way.

>And everyone I speak with advises me not to go with Dell but with a local
>firm who can put together an equal system for half the price.

The local firm will NOT be able to come in at half the price unless they
use really crappy components or are building a very specialized system. The
usual advantage of a local firm is quick repair, close tech support and a
closer peraonal relationship.  The big guys like Dell can offer better
deals on basic hardware and warranties but you're dealing with someone at
the end of a phone line or email and that may make it hard to get
satisfaction unless you really push hard.  That said, there are good local
builders, like Hal over at WinXPHelp, and there are really crappy builders
that don't know the first thing about quality or support.

>But I  have no guarantee about how long these firms will be in business or
>how they might honour warrantees.

Ask for references and then talk to them about any questions you might have.

>Cost?      I am relatively easy.    (the one plus about being a senior
>is that one no longer has to "save for the future").    But I would hate
>also to think I was "taken advantage of".   :))))
>
>So if anyone knowledgeable has time to spare..........I would really
>appreciate it if you would go through the options for the 8300 on the Dell
>site..............and suggest what I should buy............

You should figure out what you want to do and then build a system
accordingly.  But a basic configuration like I mentioned will have an 80GB
harddrive and a good video card.  You'll need to add the things that you'll
need, like firewire, audio, NIC/modem, a second parallel port, USB 2.0
(although most boards come with that built in now). The only substitution I
would suggest is a 19" or 21" monitor instead of the flat panel.  Bigger
picture for less money if you have the space for a CRT rather than a flat
panel.  And buy the monitor locally where you can look at it in a bunch of
different resolutions and refresh rates.  They're your eyes, so make sure
they'll be comfortable.

For graphics, you'll need a way to import and store files so maybe firewire
and an external 200GB firewire harddrive are things you should think
about.  If you make CD's or need to send graphics to friends, consider a
CD-RW drive.

>If I am asking too much - please just ignore me!!!!!!!!!!  :)))
>
>Or send me off to a site you think might clarify my questions for

See Hal's at http://www.pcsleuth.com

Tom