-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Browser or Internet help needed

  • From: "Glo" <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:26:47 -0700

Hi Sammi,
This sounds like a problem I had with my cable when I first got
connected--it was fine for 2 weeks, then suddenly I couldn't access many
websites for two months and went through all kinds of HELL to fix it, only
to find out that it WAS a problem with the provider.  If you'd like to read
about this to see the similarities in our problems, go to this section of
the archives //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/  (listed below)
and go to July 2003 and way down the list , almost to the bottom, you'll see
my posts re Can't Access Websites and all the responses.  The one from Grant
Karpik gave the best lead, as it DID turn out to be the provider and I
posted this in September:
Hi Folks--well, you probably all remember the GREAT BIG problem I was having
with cable, not being able to access most websites.  For 2 months I've been
following the advice of Grant Karpik (7/30) and hollering long and loud;
...well, I got a call this a.m. from the IS department at Cablevision in St.
Joseph, MO and
it had to do with the IP address.  In a matter of minutes, it's all fixed.
Due to the fact that I suggested this solution to them app. 6 weeks ago (on
the advice of this list ), I will now start working on my 2 free months I
feel they owe me....Wow, I am a happy camper!  Thanks for all the offers for
solutions (saved in a folder) and for bearing with me through all this--Glo

Well Sammi, this was a huge problem that turned out to be very simple, but
can't be solved without the input of the provider.  When they called me I
think he had me go to Run, then type in something that made the IP address
show.  When I told him what it said, he said hang on a sec, then he said
"ok, you're all set now" and I was.  I only wish they had found the time to
do it 2 months sooner and saved me all the stress and anguish of trying to
find the problem!  If you can't find the posts in th archives I will copy
and send them to you private if you like.  HTH--Glo

---