-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Browser Hi-jacker

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:18:04 -0400

Steve,
    "System Doctor" (not to be confused with the Scandisk replacement
included with Norton Utiilties) is nasty malware that's usually disguised as
a malware remover app like SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, etc..  It
doesn't necessarily take any action on your part to contract it (it can
spread through driveby downloads), but if you get it that way it means your
defenses aren't strong enough (and the sites you're surfing are a little
suspect     lol).

Download the fix from the link below:
Run the program and follow the directions. Make sure you save all your work
before.  If the virus is detected it will force you to immediately restart
your computer.
http://www.pctools.com/downloads/afl_2-spyware/sdsetup.exe

Just in case you're interested (or wish to make absolutely sure it's all
gone), here are the instructions for manually removing it using the awesome
"HijackThis" tool.

GMan