-=PCTechTalk=- Nortons vs others -- HELP

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTT" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:06:31 -0500

hi

I am seeking advice on which AV I should purchase other than Norton's.

It seems that when I went to d/l their renewal subscription something went
array and the Live update that was suppose to come up to finish the update did
not. Thus the new up date did not happen and after two and a half weeks of
sending emails back an forth, they want me to call them (at $30 flat fee or
2.95 per minute) to walk me thru the removal of the live update and re install
it. It seems that you need to go into the registry, which I feel apprehensive
about, especially after all there previous ill advise in resolving the matter.
Example, Last email they gave me a number to call and said that ... may be fee
based... The next sentence they said that the call would be fee based. I ask
them to make up their minds (in so many words) and let me know. (Its fee based
they informed me)

So I am at the point where I am ready to switch to another AV after being with
Norton's for over 10 years. It chills me to give them another dollar but I am
beginning to be willing to spend $100 with another company to get 3-4 AV's.
(yes I need that many)

I have been to trend micro's site and talked with many people there and at
least they have a live person to help you and they were informative and helpful.

For anyone's info, the firewall that is included in PC chillin's AV will not
work on a LAN and is not a full fledge firewall. Also they do not have a full
fledged firewall.

So does anyone out there have a recommendation for another AV, where you can
talk to a live person about problems. Also a recommendation for a full fledged
firewall for my LAN would be of help to. My LAN consists of a 450 with 98SE,
another that is dual boot, 98se and win2k, and a laptop XP home. I have a forth
that is a 266 with Linux installed and may be bringing it on line in a month.
Also Micro trend is not workable with Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's