-=PCTechTalk=- EDITED VERSION: Recycle Bin tips based on Re: Fw: IM question

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:04:58 -0400

Have you emptied the recycle bin?  If not, then either a) you did not delete
a file or at least not the one you thought you did, b) you do not have the
recycle bin enabled [bad idea] or c) you deleted the file with a
multi-fingered salute to bypass the recycle bin or used a third party utilty
like CleanUp!.

Whatever the case may be...

Do not empty the recycle bin by clicking the "empty the recycle bin" option.
Instead, open the recycle bin and select only those files deleted more than
a week or 10 days ago and delete them.  That gives you time to miss an
important file and still be able to recover it.  If you use a utility like
CleanUp! closely check your recycle bin BEFORE you use it.

If you have less than 5 years experience deleting files from your computer
keep the recycle bin enabled.  If you have more than 5 years experience
deleting files, still keep the recycle bin enabled and use the multi-finger
salute to bypass the bin when desired.

I picked "5 years" because once you have that much experience you will have
deleted dozens of files you shouldn't have and will recognize the value of
the Recycle Bin... or you will have learned to keep very good back-ups that
are very easy to restore from.

Ignore an earlier message.... I saw your later message explaining the IM you
referred to is Incrudimail and not Instant Messenger.

Don