[pchelpers] Re: XP Home Guest Account

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:09:13 +1200

There is some information about this here:
http://www.jimthompson.net/xphome/File_Sharing.htm
Here is a partial extract from it:

      What are "Guest" and "Everyone" all About?

    The terms "Guest" and "Everyone" come from NT and 2000 days.  While
they have some highly technical significance for expert programmers,
mommies and daddies can view them in a more user-friendly way.

        "Guest" is a /user account / for people who do not have individual
accounts.  This user account does not require a password.  By default,
the Guest account is disabled.  In XP Home the Guest account is just
that: a limited account that a guest in your home can use to access the
computer for limited jobs, like some word processing, playing games, or
checking email.
        "Everyone" is a /group/ that includes all users, even anonymous users
and guests.  Membership is controlled by the operating system.  I think
that when you use Sharing or CACLS to change read/write/delete
privileges on a folder, then in effect you are changing them for
"everyone" on the computer.

I hope it is specific enough for your needs.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 112663246